Wednesday 14 November 2012

Playtime & Sewing

Photography by Melissa Gaggiano.
     Yesterday I sat on the floor with the girls and we played with playdough. Playdough is a great way to play no matter what age you are. Like doodling, playdough stimulates the brain. You fiddle with the dough and almost without thinking you have created something. So the next time the kids are bored or you're feeling creatively blocked pull out the playdough and roll away.

Playdough ornaments by Melissa Gaggiano.
     A piece of good news. I had my sewing machine repaired the other day. Luckily it was a simple issue. So last night I sat down with a piece of felt and continued on what I started a few weeks ago when the sewing machine stopped.
    One of my favourite craft bloggers, Jennie of A Little Vintage, makes classy plush dolls with a combination of mediums - sewing and painting. She inspired me with a tutorial on a freehand drawing/embroidery stitch while using a normal sewing machine.
    So that was what I was practicing last night. The stitches are crazy and all over the place but I love it for that. It has an organic feel to it [not too perfect]. It even reminds me of the writing style of the Gumnut Babies [anyone remember May Gibbs and her Australian creations?].

    Follow this link to see Jennie's [above mentioned] tutorial...
Sewn flower by Melissa Gaggiano.