Saturday 31 March 2012

It's Not Easy

Illustration by Melissa Gaggiano

    It's not easy. Trying to write something good.
    When I read other people's books, I wish to myself, that maybe I could write something like that. It would be nice to express myself - to be clear and concise, to be heard and understood. To share something wonderful and be remembered for that.
    I am re-reading The Carrie Diaries. I like this version of Carrie Bradshaw and Candace Bushnell is one of my new favourite authors.
    The way Carrie was written, she is someone I can understand. I feel like I know her well. Like she could have been me, if I was a different person. An ambiguous statement - yes! But it is logical to me.
    Carrie listens to the people around her, she explores the city and lives life up. She may not like all that she sees. Yet the obstacles in her life help define her writing. I think Candace is telling up a lot about herself through Carrie.
    One of Carrie's struggles is getting started with writing her ideas. This frustrates her because she thinks she has to work a whole lot harder to be a spectacular writer. Initial laziness appears to be her hallmark, but once she knows what she wants there is no stopping Carrie.
    On another slightly similar subject - reading [as it is just the flipside to writing]! I am doing a lot of reading at the moment. In fact I have four different books that I am currently in the middle of. I enjoy re-reading my old books but my mind needs new fuel. I want to read Ernest Hemmingway. And there was another one. What was it? Virginia Woolf. And Tender is the Night by Fitzgerald.