Wednesday 17 November 2010

Everyone's Taking A Chance

Who remembers the The Safety Dance? I remember hearing this on vinyl when I was a lil‘ kid. Lord, I loved this song. Other songs I remember hearing on that particular vinyl included Making Love Out of Nothing At All (Air Supply), Reckless (Australian Crawl), I Walk Away (Split Enz). Those were the days. I really loved the 80s.



I didn't know. Did you?
The Safety Dance writer Ivan Doroschuk, explained that The Safety Dance is a protest against bouncers stopping dancers pogoing to 1980s New Wave music in clubs. New Wave dancing, especially pogoing, was different from Disco dancing, because it was done individually instead of with partners and involved holding the torso rigid and thrashing about. The bouncers didn't like pogoing so they would tell pogoers to stop or be kicked out of the club. Thus, the song is a protest and a call for freedom of expression.