Thursday 4 November 2010

A Beautiful Trap

A few weeks ago I noticed this cobweb in my carport, and simply had to photograph this piece of work.
A cobweb is a spider's home and food trap. It's design is purely out of necessity. And yet from a human eye it is a work of art.
Funny to think that I am so terrified of spiders yet can stop to appreciate what they create. But alas as beautiful as this web is it isn't meant to last long. And sure enough it was gone the next day.


I am reminded of a story from Aesop Fables, called —

The Silkworm and Spider
Having received an order for twenty yards of silk from Princess
Lioness, the Silkworm sat down at her loom and worked away with
zeal. A Spider soon came around and asked to hire a web-room near
by. The Silkworm acceded, and the Spider commenced her task and worked
so rapidly that in a short time the web was finished. "Just look at
it," she said, "and see how grand and delicate it is. You cannot but
acknowledge that I'm a much better worker than you. See how quickly
I perform my labors." "Yes," answered the Silkworm, "but hush up,
for you bother me. Your labors are designed only as base traps, and
are destroyed whenever they are seen, and brushed away as useless
dirt; while mine are stored away, as ornaments of Royalty."
"True art is thoughtful, delights and endures."